According to a recent report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 54 million adults in the US – that’s 23%, or 1 in 4 adults – have arthritis. It’s so prevalent that it’s the leading cause of work disability. Fortunately, one of the main benefits of CBD is its ability to reduce inflammation, without harmful side effects of traditional medications.
Put simply, arthritis is an inflammation of the joints. Not so simply, arthritis isn’t a single condition and there are many different types – more than 100! Let’s learn more about using CBD for arthritis relief.
What Is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a condition that is mainly characterized by joint pain and inflammation. It describes roughly 200 conditions that affect the joints and tissues around the joints.
There are four types of arthritis, including degenerative, inflammatory, infectious and metabolic. If you have arthritis, you likely experience symptoms including pain, stiffness, swelling.
- Degenerative, or osteoarthritis, is the most common type of arthritis. It’s caused by cartilage wearing away over time, reducing the cushion needed by the bones to protect them.
- Inflammatory occurs when your immune system becomes unbalanced and doesn’t function the way it should. It may wrongly go after the joints with excess inflammation, possibly eroding the joints. Autoimmune and rheumatoid arthritis fall within this realm.
- Infectious is caused by an external virus or bacteria that enters the body. Examples include STDs, salmonella and Hepatis C.
- Metabolic occurs due to build of uric acid. A more well-known name for this is Gout. When this happens, crystals form in the joint. Typically, this will flare up and then go away.
What Causes Arthritis?
Factors vary from person to person and may include:
- Injury: Injuries mostly lead to degenerative arthritis, such as osteoarthritis.
- Genetic factors/Family history: Researchers have found that certain genes increase an individual’s chances of contracting arthritis, particularly rheumatoid arthritis.
- Age: The risk of contracting arthritis tends to increase as we age. It’s most common in adults over 65 but can affect anyone – including young children.
- Abnormal metabolism: can lead to various types of arthritis, such as gout.
- Excess weight: carrying extra pounds puts pressure on the body, particularly the joints, which can erode over time.
- Environmental factors: exposure to tobacco and alcohol are known external causes that impact our bodies.
What is CBD and how does it work?
The human body is complex, requiring numerous systems to help it properly function. Some of the more familiar systems include the digestive, immune, nervous and respiratory, to name a few. Another system more recently discovered is our endocannabinoid system (ECS). The main function is to help keep the body in balance, or homeostasis. It is named after the cannabis plant as it was discovered by researchers using the plant.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a naturally occurring compound found in the cannabis plant. It is chemically similar to our bodies’ cannabinoids, and, when taken orally or used topically, supports the ECS in its important job of keeping us balanced.
CBD for Arthritis Relief
When it comes to using CBD for arthritis relief, researchers have found that it contains anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for dealing with this condition.
Some studies in animals advocate CBD could help treat arthritis and relieve the associated inflammatory pain. In addition, a recent experiment proved that CBD, unlike the other available arthritis medications, can alleviate pain and inflammation without causing any side effects.
The Arthritis Foundation released guidelines on CBD use in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). It shows that CBD products are effective in mitigating the painful symptoms of arthritis, such as joint aches and stiffness. They also consider CBD a less addictive option that opiates.
As a result, AF has urged the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to study and certify CBD for arthritis relef.
Best CBD Products for Arthritis
CBD comes in a variety of forms, giving you plenty of options to choose from to find the best fit for you.
- Wellness CBD Oil is formulated for well-being and balance. It is most effective when taken daily, and can be used day or night. This is best to help stave off pain in the first place.
- Gummies: are a flexible, convenient, and tasty form of CBD. Allvane Gummies are organic and vegan, and specially formulated to provide calm and relaxation. They are great for pain relief, digestive support and to calm anxiety.
- Unwind CBD Oil is a great option if arthritis pain is most prevalent at night. It is formulated to help provide tranquility and sleep.
- Topicals are a great option for immediate relief for a particular pain point. We offer a Warming Salve, Cooling Roll-on and Botanical Lotion, depending on your personal preference.
CBD is not a medication and is not a cure. It can help lessen the severity of symptoms and provides relief for those with milder cases. However, it’s important to know it does not solve the root cause of the problem.
Not sure where to start? Don’t hesitate to contact us today!