The world is a pretty crazy place at the moment and interest in CBD for focus is on the rise. If you’re having trouble focusing, you aren’t alone. (In a recent survey of 300 American workers, about 40% said they feel less productive than usual during the pandemic.) Pandemic aside, there are a variety of circumstances that can impact our ability to focus. What hinders our ability to focus and can taking CBD for focus help?
Why do we Have Trouble Focusing?
We’ve all been there. You’re trying to get your work done, but then you hear your phone buzz. Before you know it, you’ve been scrolling through social media for 20 minutes and you’re no closer to completing your tasks. Maybe you pound back some coffee or energy drinks in hopes of improving your focus, but you just end up getting a headache or feeling shaky. There’s got to be a better way to maintain focus, right?
First, it’s important to recognize why we have trouble focusing. There are internal and external factors that can affect our focus like:
- Insomnia – if you aren’t sleeping at night, you aren’t performing your best during the day. When our brains lack the sleep they need, we find ourselves less alert and less able to concentrate. It becomes difficult to perform any task that requires complex thought, like problem-solving and decision-making. With 1 in 4 American adults experiencing insomnia each year, lack of sleep is one of the main factors that influence the ability to focus.
- Mental illness – conditions like depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder can have a serious impact on all areas of life, including the ability to focus, find motivation and get things done.
- ADHD – one of the hallmarks of ADHD is distractability and an inability to focus.
- Stress – Ongoing or chronic stress happens when your body stays on high alert, even when there’s no danger. Because of this, you may end up feeling on edge, fatigued, or burnt out – all of which inhibit the ability to focus.
- Your environment – a noisy neighbor or coworker, a notification on your phone, or poor lighting in your room are all external factors that can affect your focus. Managing external distractions can sometimes be just as tough as managing internal distractions, especially if you’re working from home where your partner, kids or pets are present.
- Pain or illness – if you’re feeling sick or are in pain, it can be difficult to concentrate on anything other than feeling bad. Chronic pain affects somewhere around 20% of the US population, so this can be a serious problem.
- Energy levels – your energy levels naturally rise and fall throughout the day, which affects your focus.
- Age – Scientific evidence suggests our that attentional capacity peaks near age twenty and diminishes over time.
What is CBD?
CBD is a cannabinoid, which is a compound found in the cannabis plant. These compounds have a powerful effect on our bodies. Each of our bodies comes equipped with an endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is a recently discovered system in the human body. The cannabinoids in the cannabis plant interact with receptors in our ECS, and are found to impact on our mood, appetite, sleep, perception of pain, and energy levels.
Because the ECS was only discovered in the 1990s, there’s still a lot of research that needs to be done to learn exactly how it interacts with the rest of the systems in our bodies, but preliminary research shows that the ECS influences many of the body’s processes. CBD in particular seems to have strong effects on mood, relaxation, how we perceive pain, and our energy levels throughout the day.
Can CBD Help with Focus?
Many of the circumstances that negatively impact our ability to focus are also areas that may benefit from using CBD.
Before trying CBD for focus, it’s important to first determine the root of the issue you’re trying to solve. This will help you find the right CBD product.
- Is lack of the sleep the culprit? Taking a daily dose of CBD may help to regulate your sleep cycle, while specially formulated CBD for sleep may help you to fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake up feeling ready to take on the day. When you’re not constantly tired, you better focus throughout the day.
- Are you experiencing stress? Taking a daily dose of CBD Oil or CBD Gummies can help balance your mood and take the edge of naturally.
- Do you have pain? A topical CBD applied directly to the source may help reduce inflammation, while specially formulated CBD for pain may provide overall pain relief.
- Feeling scattered or easily distracted? CBD for Focus is a great place to start.
Everyone responds to CBD differently. So, you may need to try a few different products and dosages to find the right fit for you.
Remember, CBD isn’t a cure and using CBD won’t magically get rid of your problems. But when used in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and fresh air, you’ll likely find that you’re able to focus on whatever requires your attention.