There are few things more frustrating than a bad night’s sleep. Yet, for the 1 in 4 adults in the US that experience insomnia each year, the dream of a good night’s sleep is more like a nightmare. Lack of quality sleep is linked to a variety of conditions, including the inability to focus, memory loss, depression, and obesity, to name a few.
Bottom line: sleep is really important.
Whether you have a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep, you may consider using CBD for sleep as a way to catch those precious zzz’s.
Why Do We Need Sleep?
Humans spend 1/3 of their lives sleeping. Surprisingly, science still doesn’t have a full answer as to why we sleep in the first place. But we do know that a number of important processes happen while we sleep that are inextricably linked to health and well-being.
The average adult requires 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night to function at our best. During this time, our mind and body actively move through a series of four important stages.
The first three are referred to as non-rapid eye movement (Non- REM). Stage one and two help prepare your body and mind for deep sleep. The third stage helps your body get to work repairing itself, from muscles and bones, to tissues to cells, along with strengthening the immune system.
The fourth stage, REM, facilitates learning and memory by clearing out the clutter. Think of it as a daily dose of Feng Shui for your brain. When we’re awake, we are constantly bombarded with new information and experiences. These create connections between neurons, otherwise known as synapses. Our brains can only grow and expand so much. When we sleep, our brain’s neural connections shrink, which makes way for new information.
While every sleep stage is important, your body needs to move through all four stages to get the restorative benefits that are so important to overall health and well-being.
What Keeps Us Up at Night
There are two main types of insomnia and a variety of reasons we can’t sleep.
Primary or acute insomnia
- Lasts anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
- Is most often associated with a situation or circumstance, such as stress, pressure or trauma. Examples include pressure to perform on a work project, trauma of dealing with a family emergency or crisis, or stress from increased responsibilities. It can also be a result of an injury or training, say, for a new activity.
- It may also be a result of adjusting to a new medication that affects circadian rhythm or jet lag, or external factors like noise, light, smell or temperature.
- Sleep issues that last longer than a month. More specially, issues occurring at least three times per week for at least three months.
- Most often a symptom or side effect of another condition, such as depression, anxiety, asthma, arthritis, cancer and sleep apnea, along with alcohol and caffeine use or substance abuse.
CBD for Sleep: How it Works
Each of us has an endocannabinoid system that helps regulate body functions, including sleep, pain, and mood. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a naturally occurring cannabinoid found in the hemp plant that works naturally to support the ECS. While more studies are needed, there is general consensus that CBD may benefit sleeplessness.
One of the more comprehensive studies took place in 2019. 79.2% of patients reported lower anxiety and 66.7% reported better sleep when given 25 mg of CBD per day. Another 2018 study showed there is fair evidence supporting the claim that CBD soothes pain.
It is important to know that CBD is not a cure for any condition. CBD works by supporting the symptoms, not by solving the issue itself. Sorry to say, it will not cure cancer, solve the family emergency or do the work to complete the major work project. But it may help you to manage anxiety, reduce pain, or provide a sense of calm that, in turn, may in turn lead to better sleep.
Ready to try CBD for Sleep?
Before trying CBD for sleep, the first step is to identify the root cause of the sleep issue.
- If anxiety or stress is the culprit, our Allvane Gummies may be a good fit. Organic and vegan and packed with 25mg CBD per gummy and formulated to provide calm and relaxation.
- Additionally, our Allvane Wellness CBD Oil is made with CBD isolate supports daily wellness and balance.
- If nighttime is the prime time, our Allvane Unwind Formula CBD Oil is specially formulated terpene blend to aid in tranquility and sleep.
- If pain is the main issue, our Allvane Pain Formula CBD Oil is a terpene blend in support of pain relief and inflammation.
Questions or still not sure where to start? We love to help! Email us or message us through the chat.