A tidal wave of CBD and associated products have made their way into the market, many of which specifically target CBD for women. From CBD oils and edibles to lotions and bath bombs and everything in between, it’s hard to differentiate between what is true and what is twisted sales language. Let’s explore the many benefits of CBD for women.
Allvane is a women-owned CBD company, created to help you get up every day and be able to do what you love. In this article, we share facts surrounding CBD, its effects on women’s health, and what to look for when you buy CBD online.
What is CBD?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, a group of compounds derived from hemp plants. 113 of these compounds have been identified across the Cannabis family of plants, each with slightly different effects.
Hemp is not to be confused with marijuana. While the two plants are closely related and belong to the same family, hemp is a different variety of cannabis that contains much lower amounts of a cannabinoid known as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
THC is the compound known to give mind-altering effects or “high.” Most hemp plants do have THC, but the US specifies and only allows those that have it in concentrations of less than 0.3%.
Why is CBD good for women?
Women’s bodies experience changes throughout the month and their lifetimes that cause imbalance. The unique action of CBD on the body makes it a particularly useful tool in supporting women’s health. Its regulating effects on your body’s endocannabinoid system make it highly beneficial for maintaining your general physical, emotional, and psychological health.
1. Heart Health Benefits of CBD For Women
Did you know that heart disease is the #1 killer of women in the US? In fact, 1 in 3 deaths can be directly linked to cardiovascular problems, which is more than all types of cancers combined.
For women experiencing stress or high blood pressure, the risk of heart attacks is significantly higher. However, a dose of CBD has been shown to help reduce stress and blood pressure, which in critical moments can help to avert a heart attack, stroke, or angina (constricted blood flow to the heart.)
In the long term, CBD can prevent these heart problems by helping you to better manage stress, reduce inflammation in the arteries, control blood pressure, and maintain heart rate when under stress. Research in this field is still ongoing.
2. CBD For Endometriosis
Endometriosis is the abnormal growth of cells in the female reproductive system. This issue affects 10-20% of American women of reproductive age. Endometriosis manifests in excessive period pains, painful bladder movements, pain during intercourse, or even infertility.
CBD is a great option for treating endometriosis pain due to its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and pain relief properties. Initial studies suggest that CBD works well for managing endometriosis because it:
- Prevents abnormal cell division and migration
- Regulates the balance of hormones
- Desensitizes the nerves that feel pain
While there is promising evidence of the efficacy of CBD for endometriosis, healthcare professionals and scientists are calling for more research.
3. Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) and CBD
While most women suffer from mild forms of PMS 1or 2 weeks before their periods, 20-40% have more severe forms of the condition. PMS manifests itself in different physical, emotional, and behavioral symptoms such as anger, depression, irritability, social withdrawal, bloating, lethargy, and pain.
CBD studies have shown that it can in fact treat many of the same symptoms associated with PMS. CBD may be used as an effective form of alternative treatment for women with PMS symptoms.
4. CBD for Anxiety
Anxiety disorders are very common in the US, affecting over 40 million people and twice as many women as men. While normal anxiety is a natural response to stress, anxiety disorders lead to excessive fear, nervousness, panic, phobia, social anxiety, and many more.
There are several types of anxiety disorders, all of which require a professional evaluation by psychiatrists. Anxiety treatments are often prescribed but are unpopular because of their side effects.
CBD presents a potentially effective and all-natural treatment therapy for these anxiety disorders. Studies show that CBD compounds interact with receptors in the endocannabinoid system known for fear and anxiety responses. By chemically regulating these receptors, CBD helps to induce calmness and allows women to control their response to stress.
Types of CBD Products
There are three main types of cannabidiol (CBD):
- CBD isolate is the purest form of CBD. It is extracted from the rest of the plant and distilled on its own. The result is a form of 99% isolates with absolutely no THC or other cannabinoids.
- Broad-spectrum CBD is CBD extracted along with a range of other naturally occurring and beneficial compounds from the cannabis plant. It does not contain THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). It is legal in most US states, which makes it the most popular form of CBD used in products such as CBD gummies and topicals.
- Full-spectrum CBD extract contains all the cannabinoids in the hemp plant. That means it also contains trace amounts of THC (but always less than 0.3%).
CBD products come in several forms:
- CBD oils are hemp extract diluted in oils (such as coconut oil or glycerol) that make it easy to consume. Typically, oils will come in a bottle with a dropper and the oil placed under the tongue. If you don’t like the taste, you can put them in coffee, tea, or a smoothie.
- CBD edibles are hemp extract placed into something you eat or drink, such as gummies, cookies, or cakes.
- CBD topicals are these are forms of CBD that you apply directly on the skin, such as salve, lotion, or cream.
- Inhalable is a form of CBD that you can vape or smoke.
How does CBD work?
Research shows that CBD produces most of its effects within your body by interacting with the endocannabinoid system. This system was discovered in a joint academic study between American and Israeli scientists just 30+ years ago while doing research using the marijuana plant.
The endocannabinoid system’s main role is to maintain balance in the body by reacting to external and internal changes. It relies on chemical agents known as endocannabinoids, which the human body naturally produces.
Hemp-based cannabinoids mimic the action of natural endocannabinoids and help foster balance in your body between enzymes, hormones, and many chemical receptors.
It’s important to understand that claims and evidence around CBD and its benefits are mostly anecdotal, due to cannabis being considered a Schedule I Controlled substance. Hemp’s Schedule I status was removed in 2018 so it’s now able to be studied. While some effects have been studied and are adopted for medical use, more research needs to be done before CBD can be universally accepted and prescribed for various ailments.
Allvane CBD products for Women
Whatever your need, you can trust Allvane to bring you the purest CBD products to help you stay healthy the natural way. Our products undergo stringent third-party testing and are free of THC, chemicals, heavy metals, and pesticides. We also give 10% of every purchase back to the community. CBD for women comes in many forms:
- Wellness CBD Oil – this is our flagship oil. It’s made with CBD isolate and coconut oil, and is a great product to support every day heart health and mental health. It’s our top choice for helping to maintain balance.
- CBD Gummies: these bite sized delights help calm your body and mind. They may help bring your stress or irritability level down a notch or ease discomfort from period or endometriosis pain.
- Warming Salve or Cooling Roll-On – these are fantastic CBD products for helping to soothe aches and pains. They are applied externally and directly to the point of discomfort, such as stomach or uterus. They are fast acting as you apply them right to the source.
Feel free to visit our shop to view and find the best CBD products for you.